Matthew Gloag was a grocer and wine merchant in Perth, Scotland. Gloag purchased whiskies from distilleries around Scotland, and when Queen Victoria visited Perth in 1842, he was invited to supply the wines for the royal banquet. In 1860, his son, William Gloag, took over the company and began producing blended whiskies. In 1896, William's nephew, also named Matthew after his grandfather, took over the company. He created The Grouse Brand blend in 1896, which due to its popularity, was renamed "The Famous Grouse" in 1905. Matthew Gloag's daughter Phillippa first designed the label's grouse icon.